Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Learning to Love a God I Will Never Understand



A God I Will Never Understand – March 2011?

·         Sometimes I wonder how it is I believe in a God I will never understand
·         A God that sparkles with tear stained crossed fingers and wishbones
·         Like high stakes roulette with no bullets
·         I find myself loving more the memory of a God
·         A God of butterfly wingtip swishes and sweet cheek kisses
·         I can see it, this God of groping toddler fingers and tiger paws
·         Which loves to laugh with the heart broke weeping
·         In moments I find lights without sources
·         Reuniting divorces of faithless tired ones and hopeful twos
·         At other times I fumble broken light bulbs with bleeding fingers
·         Wielding pencils in the dark, ones from which every bit of eraser has been gnawed
·          by hungry children who no longer believe in making mistakes
·         Thanks to a God they will never understand
·         I give praise to the whispers without voices
·         The gentle nudges without elbows
·         And the armless embraces I find in the spaces between forgetting
·         Unquestioning my beating heart is useless restraint
·         Because it always seems to stop when I really listen
·         There is a pause between every breath and gaps in this prayer beaded rope to which I cling
·         “Step inside me and I promise to never understand”
·         I fish for stepping stone in a handstand
·         I walk on bleeding fingers because my feet lost root and fell heavenward
·         I  bleed freely a God I will never understand
·         Splashing crimson on emerald grasses I turn into this
·         I turn from within it, to without
·         Without the desperate clutching of panicked belief I question
·         “Where do I see you, O Invisible One?
·         “I can’t keep whispering silent proofs in crowded churches
·         “Free me from you, O Spirit, and I will find there is nothing else
·         “Please, drop out from me and leave me in my empty
·         “Turn out from me this blood, every drop, and I will beat on
·         “This steady throb will collapse heart chambers and vocal chord
·         “Bleed from me, O Spirit
·         “Teach me of the silence deeper the voiceless whispers

·         “I will clutch to your absence and sing ballads, endless and untold, for your presence again”

No comments:

Post a Comment